VoIP – why you should switch your business
Even if your business is small, you probably still make hundreds of phone calls every week. It’s important then, to have a telephone service that is reliable as well as good value for money. Enter VoIP!
What is VoIP?
Voice over Internet Protocol or VoIP (also referred to as IP telephony, internet telephony and cloud IP telephony) uses the internet to make voice calls instead of the traditional copper wire system of the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)
How does it work?
You’ve probably already used VoIP before; Skype and calls through Facebook Messenger and Whatsapp are examples. It converts sound into a digital signal and sends it over the internet, in the same way that any other piece of data such as email would be sent. Simple!
What do I need?
As VoIP uses the internet to transmit calls, a high-speed and reliable broadband connection is a must. Calls can be made via your computer or laptop, by using an adaptor on your existing phone or through an Internet Protocol (IP) phone. Various apps are also available for mobile use.
What are the benefits?
- Quality – VoIP to VoIP call quality is superior to that of an ordinary telephone call, as long as you have a good internet connection.
- Convenience – can be used anywhere you have a high-speed internet connection; particularly useful if you’re a business whose employees travel a lot or work from home.
- Money saving – the cost is generally less than that of using a conventional phone system. VoIP to VoIP phone calls are completely free. This is especially beneficial if you have multiple offices / branches.
- Multi-functional – as well as phone calls, it can be used for videoconferencing and sending documents. Features such as call forwarding, voicemail to email, call waiting etc are also available and do not cost extra like with traditional phone systems.
- Flexible – unlike with traditional phone systems, you are not limited to a certain number of phones by the number of lines available. The only limitation is bandwidth so technically thousands of connections can be made.